Saturday, April 29, 2006

We're getting closer to the loons. I think this one is the daddy, out earning supper while momma is home sitting on her butt, I mean clutch.


Going through the narrows, on the way to Frasertown.


Just another shot to make someone homesick.


I got all the wood split and stacked. I don't know how, as I was sick all night. A stomach virus, I think. Hey! Just because I went to Frasertown, doesn't mean I got "tired" again. Gee, a guy makes one mistake in 50+ years, and you never let him live it down. The kind of virus that makes you sit on the composter all night. Sorry for being so graphic, but your the one that didn't believe me. So I spent most of the day on my hands and knees splitting and stacking wood, just so that you wouldn't have to read about it any more. Your welcome. OK, I do have a confession to make and you should have been smart enough to see it. I couldn't reach the top of the pile, from my knees to finish stacking. It'll take about half an hour tomorrow, but I promise not to talk about it.

I've had a lot of questions about the proper etiquette when meeting foreign dignitaries. Newfies are a lot like you, except a lot more friendly. Newfies have a great sense of humour. If you tell them a Newfie joke that they haven't heard before, they will laugh so hard that you wouldn't believe it. Just before they beat you up! They also don't speak English. It's like they have a different word for everything. They pronounce "boy" as bye. And all males are "byes" or "my son". Unmarried females are called "my dear". Married females are generally called "the missus" or "your missus". Newfies do not pronounce the "H" sound. So hat becomes at and how becomes ow. But they do put an "H" were we do not, so that at becomes hat and ow becomes how. The deck on your ouse (did you get that one?) is called a bridge and your dock is called a stage. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Newfoundlanders also have different culinary tastes than you. They will take a piece of meat and cut off all the fat and gristle and throw away the meat. And if you can pickle it for a couple of years, they are much happier. They also put pork fat in their raisin buns. That's the lesson for today. If I think of any other cultural differences, I let you know.

1 comment:

the Mailman Family said...

Great pics as usual and I love the Newfie info - it's all so true!