Wednesday, January 18, 2006

















Meet George (cat) and Kita (Husky). George is in his usual position since he spent 35 days in a kennel while I was on my "retirement" tour. George is about 20lbs and his normal disposition is not very nice. He hates people, especially kids. His motto would be "if it moves, eat it...if it doesn't move, eat it". Kita has also been very mellow since returning from our trip. He loves people, especially kids.

Today was a good day. A couple of days ago, my generator died. It was about -25c so I figured that moisture might have gotten into the gas. I changed the gas with no change. So then I changed the spark plug, but the boot was frozen on the plug, and no room to work, it took a whole afternoon to get it off. No change again, so I attempted to drain the carburetor. The only problem is that the carb is buried under a bunch of covers with no room for tools and frozen fingers. With it being warm today, I was able to get at the carb and found that both screws that hold the carb on were falling out. Retightened and everything was AOK. Being off the grid I rely on solar power for most of my electrical needs. However I need the generator for pumping water, laundry, etc. I also use the genset to charge my batteries when they get too low. We haven't had very many good solar days in the past week or so, so getting the gen set working is a real bonus.

No comments: