Thursday, December 02, 2010

Where do I start? On Sunday we decided to visit Captain Vic since we were going to take the boat out on Monday. We had to push through a little ice in the narrows



The navigator keeping an eye on the bergie bits.


After visiting Vic we decided to take one last spin around the lake. Some of the bays were frozen so we stayed out of them. At the far end we noticed a door open on a cabin. We pushed through more ice to their dock. When we went up the hill we found that they, and their two neighbours had been broken into. We reported it to one of the owners and left it to him to report it to the OPP and headed home since it was getting dark. (last week we had some fun bobbing around the lake in pea soup fog, in the dark, and didn't want to repeat that) The OPP must have called me 10 times that evening. I made arrangements to meet them on Monday morning to make a statement. 

So, it is now Monday morning and I'm brushing my teeth when Grasshopper says "You are not going anywhere today. The boat has sunk." 

The HMCS Little Tomiko Titanic


I tried to jack up the stern but the jack kept slipping. I managed to get it on the trailer and slowly pulled it up the ramp. The camera operator was drafted to assist in the recovery.


Then it was off to give our statement to the OPP.



I couldn't find any obvious damage to the boat. We spent the afternoon emptying out the boat and drying what we could. On Tuesday we just put Her away for the winter and we'll check Her out in the spring. You can see here that we had 1 1/2 inches of rain that stole all of our beautiful snow. That's OK, we got some more snow last night and temps are to stay sub-zero for the foreseeable future.


Wednesday we took out the dock. I laugh every time I see the Timmie's commercial about the guys freezing while taking out their dock. They must be Torontoian wussies.





So now I'm just wore right out. I asked Grasshopper to shoot me and give me CPR next Wednesday, but she won't let me have even a little rest. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank;
I just want you to know, that in looking at the pics of the boat recovery, and the dock removal, I can almost feel the pain of frozen fingers, toes and cheeks (all 4 of them). I truly wish that I could be more help to you.
I would like to let everyone (near and far) who read this Blog, know, how much we appreciate and depend on you (and Don, Ron, Gord and Others in the Little Tomiko and Moose Lake area). Many Thanks.