Thursday, August 06, 2009

A windy, foggy 10 degree morning a couple of days ago.




We have a friend, Catherine Brown, no relation (but she is smart enough to be one) challenged me to make a couple of her mother's Mennonite recipes that were translated from German. It is not polite to tell a lady's age but, Catherine is closer to the century mark than you or I will ever get.There were a few steps missing and some translating of the translations to be done and some old fashioned measurements to figure out. These are my efforts. The first recipe was for Kringel or curly buns. They didn't say what shape curly was, so I tried a few shapes.







The second recipe was for peppernut or pfeffernusse cookies. I didn't know if the cookies should be crispy or not, so I tried different temperatures. This was only half of the recipe, I got tired of rolling the dough out to pencil thickness. We are going to deliver some examples to Catherine tomorrow to get her critique.


Yesterday we had a welcome home from down under dinner for Jamie Fowler. Another beautiful spread, as usual.



Of all the pictures I took, this was the best one of Jamie, on the far right. It is hard to tell from this pic but Edwin has lost his pony tail.



It was pretty quiet on the lanai.



The navigator guiding us home.


2 comments:

the messy minded fool said...

i was a baker and cake decorator for years. i had a german lady give me a recipe(in english) and would occasionally call me and ask for them to be available on a certain day. I forget what those breads were called but i remember the braiding and how it was done was very important to her.
I think it was for religious holidays or something.

the Mailman Family said...

I love the last picture with Kita at the helm - so pretty! And the bread stuff just made me hungry!