Monday, October 30, 2017

So, back on the 26th I started installing the vent protectors that Razor made for me. Grasshopper was at Bedrock while I installed the brackets on the wood stove chimney and the composting toilet vent. After I brought Grasshopper home I decided to put the last bracket up before the rain started. It was misting a bit so I had rags to dry the roof before I put on silicone caulking. As I stood up to start drilling, with the bracket in one hand and a driver in the other, I stepped on a rag and started sliding off of the roof. Then, I finished falling off the roof. I landed pretty much flat on my back. It knocked all of the wind out of my lungs and I passed out for a few minutes. Grasshopper heard me fall and came out to see me starting to come to. I ended up with a little kink in my neck, a sore shoulder, a cut on an elbow, a nasty bite on my tongue, and a sore left side. The only things bothering me now is the side is still a bit sore and my tongue is not quite healed. Yeah, I know that I was lucky, very lucky. 

Friday I put up these 2 ladders for safety's sake. I know, a day late and a dollar short.


This is where I landed. It was where I had dug it up to fix the grey water system, so it was a much softer landing there. 



Getting ready to put up the last bracket.


Ya gotta git back on that horse that threw ya.


I don't look nervous, do I?


There, all done.

 
The wood stove chimney.


We have had so much wind the past month. This tree fell on the trail to the Don Fraser Bypass. Another one fell in behind the garage and one more at our gate.


Sunday Razor came over to install the snow guards as I was still a little dented on the corners. It sure is great to have neighbours that look after each other.



A LITTLE HIGHER! THAT'S GOOD RIGHT THERE!



Thanks Razor! Looks good!


For dinner that night I made bacon wrapped shrimp and pan fried halibut fillets. This is something that I have become a fan of lately, cooking on a cast iron frying pan inside the BBQ. Frying and roasting at the same time. Steaks come out really good.



2 comments:

none said...

You sure have an adventuresome lifestyle, Frank. Glad you're okay and still managed to complete the project! Ken

Unknown said...

Glad that we got to chat so that I know you're really ok from your fall. I guess I don't have to tell you to be more careful! Your fall reminded me of a story that Gary has from his Co-op days in Shubenacadie - one of his young employees had injured himself at work so a Workers' Compensation form had to be filled out. One of the questions was 'What were you doing at the time of the accident?' The employees answer 'Falling'! LOL! We still chuckle about that!
BTW - the roof looks awesome!! (And so does the fish!