Thursday, April 21, 2016

Gimme a break, I've been busy.  So you know it's gonna be another long one.


A week ago or so I spotted something bobbing at the bottom of the big spruce tree in our back yard. I found this guy, actually I think it is a female (?), going at it like there was no tomorrow.


It didn't care that I was there.


Lots of shavings.


It would fly away if I got too close, but it would come right back. It's mate was in the area, but I couldn't shoot it. 


That's a big hole in a short time. I couldn't see any bugs, so I don't know why it was there.



I wrapped a tarp around the tree to protect it.



You'll have to excuse the shaking as I was trying to move closer in the snow and ice.


You tube video.      
 
A young laying hen passed away at Bedrock. We brought it home to remove feathers for a friend who makes dream catchers. I left the carcass in the back yard waiting a proper burial. In the mean time a raven found it. It hopped and danced all around it, but never did take it away. 




 The first spotting of a robin back on the 15th.


Grackles and red-wings.



Evening grosbeak.


Brown headed cow bird.


American tree sparrow. We have also seen: song sparrows, chipping sparrows, white crowned and white throated sparrows, fox sparrows, redpoles, purple finches, starlings.


Dark eyed junco.


We decided to make a run to town last Saturday to finish stocking up for slushy season. 

Our snow ramp was starting to go.



Not too much snow on the ice.


Photo bomber.


To the pointy end.


Bill's point.


4 geese.


Fennel's bay as seen from the Bedrock causeway.


The culvert at the river.



Stuffed crust pizza for her. Lots of green and orange stuff. 


Stuffed crust for him. Less green stuff.


Yesterday we walked to Bedrock. There is still a foot of ice left.


Not a goose.


Mrs. Slate and dogs met us half way.


Not a conspiracy trail.


Looking at Dan and Judy's place.


The homestead.


I winterized Grasshopper's sled. Mine is put away, but not winterized and still ready for an emergency. There is still to much snow on our driveway for 4wheelers.


Today it is +10c and raining, but they are calling for -10 Friday night. The ice is pulling away from our shore.


The snow ramp isn't very snowy.


Still walkable, and driveable if you can jump.


Our driveway.




>:D< Me too.


:D/


:D


=))




No comments: