Saturday, April 11, 2015

Well, I was holding my breath until Itchy Richie finally updated his blog
 ( http://itchiebitchieritchie.blogspot.ca/
before doing mine. Did you turn purple too?    

I noticed this weird cloud last Saturday and then saw more of the same shape. 





This one had sort of a sun dog aura that didn't quite show up here.


The male redpoles are in full courtin' dress. Soooo many ladies, so little time. 
 

The first "open" water on Little Tomiko this year.


Just to the right of the Don Fraser Bypass.


We have had some bandits coming to the bird feeders at night.


We went to town yesterday. Yeah! I know! I think that's like 3 times already this year? We had to renew our passports and Grasshopper couldn't pose for my photo, 'cause she's not a blonde, you know. Any way, it had rained all night and all day yesterday and we drove the ski-doo-bee-doo thru 2 inches of water on top of the ice. Later, after supper, it snowed, almost a white out.



The view this morning.



Mrs. Penny, in the back and may be a daughter scratching for breakfast.


And a grackle, too. So far we have seen a sand hill crane and seen a chipping sparrow, starlings and evening grosbeaks. Josie has had a robin at the estate. Which reminds me that Sir Edwin is still in the North Bay hospital, fighting an infection in his foot. Don't forget to keep an eye out here for the humming bird migration. hummingbird map


So, Mr. Slate and I have been collecting maple sap for about a week now. Last week was tough 'cause the day time temps didn't get above zero, and the snow in the bush is still 3 feet deep. So far we have about 67 liters here and at least another 20 or so at Bedrock. Today the sap is pouring out of the trees.


Tomorrow we will boil down the sap that we have. We won't be using a fancy boiler like this one 'cause Richie hasn't built me one, yet. Check out this link. How Itchy Richie boils sap.



I've been so busy that I don't have any jokes for you today. 

OK!, stop yer whining, here's a couple for you.

This is cute.


Really?



Official portrait.


And that answers that.


Really?


No comments: